Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Success!

Great news from last weekend's scholastic tournament. My daughter won her first game!

When she came out into the hallway after that, she lit up like a Christmas tree. It was a great thing to see. Now, we just need to build on it so she can feel that way more often.

She's still got a provisional 400 rating in the northwest scholastic lists, as the boy she beat was also rated 400, but it's a start. It'll be a month before she gets back to the board, as her end-of-year softball tournament has a conflict with the next chess tourney, but she'll be ready.

She's also just about worked all the way through the first Fritz & Chesster game. She's completed all the training sections, and just has to win the final three duels (or, I think that's what she has to do). That will be a little bit of a challenge, so we'll see how it goes. Both kids have been wanting to play that game a lot, so it's a good thing to see. Game #2 is waiting for her when she's ready. She's also gotten through the first test in the Chess Steps workbook. She got 20 out of 24 correct, including some discovered defense moves I didn't expect her to see. She's definitely learning, so now it's just getting it translated to her play.

On my side, I didn't get to play in the tourney last weekend as we just had too many things going on. No matter - I'm feeling a bit spread out right now, anyway. I did play in a G/17+5 tourney on ICC, but lost all four of my games. (I was also the lowest-rated player in the tourney with a starting rating of 1438.) I need to get four more standard games in before I can get into the June Tuesday night slow tourney. So, over the next month or so, my regimen will look something like:
  • Tactics work in CT-ART 3.0 (I'm now through all the level 20 puzzles)
  • One lesson from the Yusupov series each week
  • Walk through games from Chernev's Logical Chess Move by Move as time allows
  • Keep drilling my opening repertoire in Chess Position Trainer
  • Endgame work from Silman's Endgame Course (which I just snagged from the library), and Mueller's first endgame ChessBase trainer
  • Play more games

No comments:

Post a Comment