Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Shiny!

I'm feeling spread way too thin right now. I keep falling into that "oh, great new shiny stuff to study" trap. And I'm not playing enough.

I certainly need to balance that out. That said, I feel like I'm retaining more, so the brain is getting rewired back onto the chessboard the way it needs to be. I just need to translate it to the board.

Current activities:

Openings: Reviewing my repertoire lines with Chess Position Trainer. Understanding my openings through four books: The Modern Scandinavian, The Kaufman Repertoire, The Safest Gruenfeld, and Play the London. I also refer to FCO when needed.

Middlegame: continuing the tactics training with Chess King and CT-ART. Working through Chernev's Logical Chess Move by Move. Also reading occasional annotated games from various sources, mostly Chessbase Magazine.

Endgame: Working through the first few sections of Silman's Endgame Course, and Karsten Mueller's first endgame Fritz Trainer.

Thinking: reading Novice Nook articles periodically, and I occasionally refer back to Dan Heisman's Novice Nook compilation and two Soltis books (The Wisest Things Ever Said about Chess, and Studying Chess Made Easy).

That just feels like a lot. Maybe it is. Maybe I should hire a coach.

No comments:

Post a Comment